Thursday, September 5, 2013

Introduction-Part B

I will be using A Simplified Harmony of the Gospels, by George W. Wright.  Although it is a “book” with a “human author”, it’s actually the Gospels pieced together in chronological form with the intent to be a “seamless” narrative of the Gospel account.  The book uses a fairly new Bible version, The Holman Christian Standard Bible*.  I will use the book as our chronological guide, but I will quote from the version I prefer which is the New King James Version.

As we go along, I may refer to the human author of a passage, for example, “John writes....”  When we talk about the inspiration of Scripture, I believe that God used human writers to communicate His very words to us.  Only in Exodus 24, 34, and Daniel 5 do we find God Himself actually writing a message to humans.  However, I do not believe that God took possession of the writers or their hands controlling their motions as they wrote.  As I’ve read the Bible, it is obvious to me that God used the personalities of each human writer in the various books. The humans may be the writers, but the Author is God Himself, by the Holy Spirit as He “carried” them along (2 Peter 1:21).  I may also reference a particular “story”; however, the Bible is not fiction or myth.  It is a factual account, infallible and inerrant in the original manuscripts.  For excellent articles on the inspiration of Scripture and its inerrancy, see:

If you’ve been a believer for very many years, you may be tempted to read a passage quickly thinking, “Oh, I know this passage.  I already know what it means.”  Please don’t read past it quickly.  I encourage you read it several times.  My prayer is that as we read the Gospels, we will read like we’re seeing it for the first time.  Ask the Lord, by the Holy Spirit, to let its truth dwell in you richly.  Slow down and read it carefully and think about what it’s saying.

I will copy the passage at the beginning of the blog entry.  Here’s a confession...when I read a devotional, I often give in to the temptation to skip over the verse and go right to the commentary.  (Surely you don’t do that, though... ;)  )  I am not writing this to be a casual devotional.  Please don’t read it that way.  Really read the passage, think about it.  In fact, don’t feel obligated to read my words at all; they are inconsequential.   It is the Word of God that is living and powerful. (Hebrews 4:12)  The Holy spirit will bring life to you as you read in faith believing.  And as you read, your faith will increase. (Romans 10:17)

And that is enough introduction.  The next blog entry will begin our study on the harmony of the Gospels.

*The New King James Version (NKJV) is my preferred Bible translation.  I was raised with the King James Version (KJV) and particularly love its beautiful and comprehensive language.  I now use the NKJV because it retains the strength of the KJV without thee’s, thou’s and –th’s.   This reading of the Simplified Harmony is my first exposure to the HCSB.  I appreciate the experience reading it, but prefer to use the NKJV in my blog discussions.

No comments:

Post a Comment