Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Old Rotted Windows


Over the course of my life, I had often thought about reading through the Gospels chronologically, but never actually did it until mid-August of 2012.  But it wasn’t until December, when my husband, Bruce, began a long overdue Do-It-Yourself project, that the Holy Spirit brought the truth of John 1:1-18 to light for me in a personal way.  Now, our DIY project was no small thing.  Although his father is a skilled carpenter, Bruce never inherited his father’s expertise.  He can do some basic tasks, but he most certainly does not enjoy home projects.  And this was a doozey!  We have owned our home since 1995.  It’s a small fixer-upper (I know...he doesn’t like DIY projects, so why a fixer-upper?  Well, that’s another story...)  And since we don’t DIY, the old second-story window had remained broken and rotted all those 17 years.  I hated it.  It faced the road for all to see surrounded by old green shingles on the siding of the second story.  When I say that I hated it, I mean I really did. I have allowed myself to live under my own reproach for the condition of our home.  It seems like no matter how much we do to improve it, there’s always something else to go wrong.  The window was just one symptom of many.

So, finally, it was time to replace that ugly old window.  Bruce was working hard to not only replace it, which included some construction issues, but to install new siding, too.  I went to check on him knowing I would be asked to help.  There I stood waiting for the next command and thinking in my heart how glad I was to be rid of that shameful eyesore when suddenly a thought came to my mind that deeply humbled me. 

What did God the Son, Jesus, think of His earthly home.....?   Is it really possible for the human heart to grasp what the King of Kings did for us?  By leaving his heavenly glory to dwell in a human body, God the Son, labored in the hot sun, He sweat, he got hungry.  Not to be disgusting but...these bodies of ours have to eliminate waste.  Do we really comprehend what that meant for God in flesh? 

Oh, how humbling and piercing that thought was to my heart.  How could I be ashamed of my home?  How could I cry and stomp commanding bigger, prettier, classier?  Oh, what a foolish, selfish demanding brat I had been!  Immediately God took the bitterness of those years and the shame that I felt for them and replaced it with a joy in Jesus I had not known before.  The impact of that hit me in a new way.  I realized how shallow my values are.  So what of my house!  So what of my position in life!  So what of the clothes I wear! 

John 1:14 tells us that the Word became flesh and dwelled among us.  The Greek word for dwell in this verse is skēnoō which means “1. to fix one's tabernacle, have one's tabernacle, abide (or live) in a tabernacle (or tent), tabernacle 2. to dwell.”  In the Old Testament, God required the Israelites to worship Him by a system of sacrifices at a tent or tabernacle.  The tabernacle was a small, rough, simple construction on the outside.  However, inside were silver supports, intricate tapestries and golden pieces of furniture.  It housed the ark of the covenant in the Holy of Holies.   It was in these times of worship that God’s presence came to the people as He dwelled temporarily with them.  That tabernacle was a picture or foreshadow of Jesus.  He is God “tabernacle-ing” with us, Immanuel.  And because of that I can be content with the things that I have for He Himself has said, “I will never leave you, nor forsake you.” (Hebrews 13:5)

I have so greatly enjoyed my journey through the Gospels and the Holy Spirit’s bringing light to my heart.  Thank you for joining me.  May you also be richly blessed as you read and worship the King of Kings and the Lord of Lords!
Next:          Luke 1:5-25

No comments:

Post a Comment